The “hot” tests at ISF-2 site were completed on 17 December 2020.
During the “hot” testing, ChNPP personnel performed all activities specified by the ISF-2 Commissioning Programme, namely:
- Transportation of 22 transfer baskets with spent nuclear fuel (SNF) from ISF-1 to ISF-2;
- Receiving of 186 spent fuel assemblies (SFAs) at ISF-2;
- Cutting of 186 SFAs into fuel bundles, and placement of 372 fuel tubes with these fuel bundles into two double-walled canisters (DWCs);
- Placement of two DWCs, filled with SNF, into the concrete storage modules for long-term storage over the course of 100 years;
- Management of the “hot” cell’s solid radioactive waste;
- Assessment of the biological shielding structures performance.
All main and auxiliary process schemes were involved into the “hot” testing at the ISF-2. The test deliverables are under preparation now.
Since you’re here…
Contamination Zone is a group of people who are united by our love for the Chernobyl Zone. Every year, we raise thousands of euros for good causes, such as firefighting equipment, monument restoration, animal welfare and more.